Sunday, September 9, 2012

Free pattern! My Crocodile socks


Crocodile Socks


Size : US 5 ½ to 6 ½
The socks I made were only anklet socks, but this pattern can be used to reach about 2-3 inches above the ankle bone, just before the leg widens for the calf.
Also, you can probably make this to reach a size 7 foot if you use needles one size up.



Materials used : Two sets of Size 1 US circular needles (2.25mm). I used the two circular needle technique for my project.
            1 skein of Hariri yarn in dark green. This is a sock-weight yarn. You can use any yarn that gets the right gauge.

Gauge : 9 sts per inch
            Based on this gauge, I imagined how many stitches I would like to have after increasing at the toe. My foot measurement around my heel and instep (the largest width of my foot) is approximately 8 inches. I subtract 1 inch from that to allow for negative ease = 7 inches. So 7 x 9 = 63. But since my stitch pattern for this sock is in multiples of 4, I will round this number off to 64.

Here goes:

Cast-on 32 sts for the toe, 16 on each needle. For this project, I used Judy Becker’s Magic Cast-on (demonstrated by Cat Bordhi here). I highly recommend it for a seamless toe !
But of course, you can use any toe-up cast on you prefer.

Let’s call the first needle, needle 1, which will contain the instep sts. Second needle is needle 2, which will contain the sole sts.

First round, on needle 1, k1, m1r, k to last stitch, m1l, k1. On needle 2, k 1, m1r, k to last stitch, m1l, k1. (36 sts)
Next round, k all stitches in the round.
Repeat first two rounds until you get 64 sts on the needles (32 on each needle).
Knit 3 more rounds even. (64 sts)

Next row, start the stitch pattern on the instep stitches (stitches on needle 1), but knit the sole stitches in stockinette stitch. Stitch pattern is as follows :

Modified seersucker stitch on 28 sts. Stitch pattern for foot :
Round 1 - Needle 1 : k2 (acts as border sts for the pattern), *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til last two sts, k2. (32 sts)
            Needle 2 (for all the rounds here on out), k all sts. (32 sts)
Round 2 : k2, *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)
Round 3 : k2, *p1, k3*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)
Round 4 : k2, *p1, k3*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)
Round 5 : k2, *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)
Round 6 : k2, *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)
Round 7 : k2, *k1, k1, p1, k1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)
Round 8 : k2, *k1, k1, p1, k1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (32 sts)

If you notice, all the even rounds are just a repetition of the previous rounds.

Repeat stitch pattern until foot of sock reaches 1 to 1 ½ inches before the start of the heel. This depends on how stretchy your knitted fabric turns out to be.

Begin short row heel, or heel flap + gusset heel. The links I’m sharing are my favorite techniques; but you can use whatever is most comfortable for you. Whenever you work any instep sts in the process of your heel-knitting, make sure you still follow the stitch pattern for the foot.

For the socks I made, I used the heel flap + gusset technique, so I only had to continue on the instep sts after the heel flap and heel turn, only when I joined the whole thing in the round again.

After completing your heel, and getting ready to start knitting in the round again with 64 sts, follow the following stitch pattern, assuming you begin your round with the first stitch of needle 1, of course :

Stitch pattern for leg :
Round 1 - Needle 1 and 2: *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til the end of round (64 sts)
Round 2 - Needle 1 and 2 (for all rounds here on out): *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til the end of round (64 sts)
Round 3 - k2, *p1, k3*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, p1, k1. (64 sts)
Round 4 - k2, *p1, k3*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, p1, k1. (64 sts)
Round 5 - *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til the end of round (64 sts)
Round 6 - *k1, p1, k1, p1*. Repeat * * til the end of round (64 sts)
Round 7 - p1, k1, *k1, k1, p1, k1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (64 sts)
Round 8 - p1, k1, *k1, k1, p1, k1*. Repeat * * til last 2 sts, k2. (64 sts)

Make sure to start at the appropriate round for your stitch pattern. If you ended your last round of heel-knitting with the instep sts using round 1 of stitch pattern for foot, begin round 2 of stitch pattern for leg. If the last pattern you used was round 2 of the stitch pattern for foot, begin round 3 of stitch pattern for leg, etc. And so on and so forth.

Once the leg reaches the desired length, start your cuff with 2x2 ribbing :
Cuff : *k2, p2*. Repeat * * til end.
I tried experimenting with other kinds of ribbing like 3x1, 1x1, twisted 2x2 ribbing, etc. But I find that the simple 2x2 ribbing worked best with the pattern. J It’s all up to ya !

Once the cuff is the desired length, cast-off with a nice stretchy bind-off you're comfortable with. For socks, my favorite is Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off.
Hope you like the pattern ! It isn’t perfect; it’s only my second time writing one up. Drop me a line if anything is confusing.


You can use it to sell your own projects, but please give credit where credit is due. A simple link to my blog would be cool.

ETA: If you do make a pair from my pattern, please send me photos and some feedback if you have any! :) I'd really love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a pattern like this. Love the color too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I had a better camera to show off the detail of the stitch pattern though. Lemme know if you have any questions about it :D

      Delete
  2. love this pattern,gonna give a go.....green too,tho spring green,as my fave color. Thanks.PandaGirlPolly

    ReplyDelete