Thursday, October 11, 2012

FO and Free Pattern: Turtle Track hat

Hey guys!

Imagine that... I ended up with an FO last night after posting a bit about the project's progress!

VoilĂ ! My Turtle Track Hat!




After some obstacles, namely the yarn shortage and the complicated decrease issues, it is finally done! I even managed to squeeze out the pattern from my brain earlier today, so here it is! FREE PATTERN!


Pretty awesome, if I may say so myself.


This is a hat made with the stitch pattern Track of the Turtle version 2 from Walker’s Second Treasury of Knitting.
Gauge: 22 sts per 4 inches, 7 rows per inch.
Cast on 120 sts in the round. Place a stitch marker at the beginning of the round.
Knit 2x2 ribbing for about 1.5 inches, or your desired length for the brim.
Once your ribbing has reached the desired length, start knitting with the stitch pattern. The stitch pattern calls for 15 sts per repeat. Since I cast on 120 sts, I used 8 repeats of the pattern per round.

Here is the stitch pattern. I made my own chart because the original stitch pattern was written for knitting back and forth, not in a round.
Blank = knit
- = purl
\ = ssk
O = Yarn over
/ = k2tog
-
-
-
\




o



-
-
 -
10
-
-
-

\




o


-
-
-
9
-
-
-


\




o

-
-
-
8
-
-
-



\




o
-
-
-
7
-
-
-









 -
-
-
6
-
-
-



o




/
-
-
-
5
-
-
-


o




/

-
-
-
4
-
-
-

o




/


-
-
-
3
-
-
-
o




/



-
-
-
2
-
-
-









-
-
-
1


Continue knitting the stitch pattern until your hat reaches the desired height. I knit mine until the hat, including the ribbing, reached 5 ½ inches. Then I began the decreases.
Decreasing was a b____ because it’s so hard to decrease without destroying the beautiful pattern, so I just winged it. I didn’t even decrease evenly, meaning in the right places, but luckily, it didn’t show on the finished product J

Here’s how I decreased mine (note: you can decrease it any way you want to!):
I started decreasing with round 2 of the stitch pattern.
Decrease Round 1: *p1, p2tog, k3, k2tog, k4, yo, p2tog, p1*, repeat ** around. (104 sts)
DR 2: *p2, k2, k2tog, k4, yo, k1, p2*, repeat ** around.
DR 3: *p2, k1, k2tog, k4, yo, k2, p2tog*, repeat ** around. (96 sts)
DR 4: *p2, k2tog, k4, yo, k3, p1*, repeat ** around.
DR 5: *p2tog, k9, p1*, repeat ** around. (88 sts)
DR 6: *p1, yo, k4, ssk, k3, p1*, repeat ** around.
DR 7: (before starting this round, purl the last st from round 6 and the first st from round 7 together), then *k1, yo, k4, ssk, k2, p2tog*, repeat ** around. (80 sts)
DR 8: (start knitting the purl sts from here on out) *k2, yo, k4, ssk, k2*, repeat ** around.
DR 9: *k7, k2tog, k1*, repeat ** around. (72 sts)
DR 10: knit even.
DR 11: *k3, k2tog, k4*, repeat ** around. (64 sts)
To make things easier, move stitch marker from beginning of round to just after the last k2tog from previous round (in short, move it 4 sts back).
Then *k6, k2tog*…
*k5, k2tog*… etc. until you end up with *k2tog* (8 sts). Cut yarn and sew in ends nice and secure. J
 Err, I even made a chart for the decreases cos I felt like the above description is confusing. Remember, that first decrease round is on round 2 of the original st pattern!
DECREASES






/














\










\




o


/


\




o

p
p



\




o
p
p









/
p



o




/
p
p
/


o




/

p
p
p
p

o




/


p
p
p
/
o




/



/
p


That's my sister. She wasn't feeling well last night, but she obligingly modeled it for me.

Anyway, that's that! I haven't tried making another one following this pattern I wrote up, so if you do try my hat pattern above, please let me know how it goes (with photos please!) or if there are any mistakes and such.

***please do not sell this pattern. If you make any items from this to give away or sell, please link my blog and give credit where credit is due :)

ETA: If you do make one using my pattern, please post picks and give feedback! :D I'd love to hear from you!

Boxer modeled it for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment