Sunday, November 11, 2012

FO & Free Pattern: Simple Diamonds headband

These days, I've been trying to come up with a few simple/easy patterns for accessories to challenge my creativity (read: force myself to be more productive).

A friend of mine keeps encouraging me to join bazaars and other crafty gatherings, but I still can't seem to decide on what I'd like to present or showcase. Of course, I'd love to show and sell things whose patterns I came up with myself; I'm pretty sure I don't want to capitalize on other people's patterns. I've already come up with two hat patterns and a sock pattern, but they're the kind of projects that are difficult to make several projects out of, especially when given a limited amount of time.

So I've decided to try my hand at making smaller accessories, and this is the first so far. I have a couple other WIPs on my needles, but they're still in the design phase.

Here's my Simple Diamonds headband pattern:






This headband features intersecting zigzag lines that form diamonds all along the band with a garter stitch border on each side.


Needles: 3.75mm
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver (acrylic)

Cast on 12 sts provisionally. Follow chart below until the band reaches 5 inches:

 
16
slsl15
14
clcr13
12
clcr11
10
clcr9
8
cr7
6
crcl5
4
crcl3
2
crcl1
121110987654321


 cl = cable left: Slip 1 stitch off the left needle and keep in front, slip the next stitch onto the right needle and place first stitch back on left needle, place the second slipped stitch back onto left needle and knit 2.

cr = cable right: Slip 1 stitch off the left needle and keep in back, slip the next stitch onto the right needle and place first stitch back on left needle, place the second slipped stitch back onto left needle and knit 2.

sl = slip 1stitch purlwise

blank square = knit stitch on the right side, purl stitch on the wrong side.



Once the band reaches 5 inches, add 2 sts on each side as a border:

Next right side row: k1, m1, follow pattern until last stitch, m1, k1.
Next row: k2, purl to the last two sts, k2.
Next row: k1, m1, follow pattern until last stitch, m1, k1.
Next row: k2, purl to the last two sts, k2.

There are now 16 sts in total per row = 2 border sts on each side of the 12-stitch chart.

Knit the border sts on both the right side and wrong side of the project, so as to make a garter stitch border.

Continue knitting the band following chart plus two border stitches on each side the until it reaches the desired length and then decrease the stitches back down to 12:

Next right side row: k1, ssk, follow pattern until last 2 sts, k2tog, k1.
Next row: purl all sts.
Next row: k1, ssk, follow pattern until last 2 sts, k2 tog, k1.
Next row: purl all sts.

There are now 12 sts in total, sew this end of the headband to the other, using the kitchener stitch. This link is of my favorite tutorial for this stitch.


I'm really making some progress with my stash-busting! A few more small projects and I'll have made use of most of my yarn :)

Note:
You can make and sell accessories using my pattern, but please give credit where credit is due. A simple link to my blog would suffice! Also, please send me photos or any feedback if you have any. I'd love to hear from you! :D

2 comments:

  1. This is very nice :) One day when I learn how to knit.. One day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is pretty cool! And the patterns looks really easy to follow, so great job! :D

    PS: If you curve the diamonds a bit and add bars to them, it could look like DNA. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete